Travelling.

Travelling.
Travelling leaves you speechless. Then turn you into a storyteller. Hope I have been a good one ^.^

Friday, September 11, 2015

Food for Thought 4 [Greatest Pop Music from My Pre-Teen Years]

The other day, I was browsing through our old stash of CDs as my car only had built-in 30-pin Apple cable and CD player.  It totally made me feel like I had traveled back in time. 
(Credit: Britney Spears Official Vevo)

Way before the popularity of iPod and iPhone, we didn't enjoy the convenience that iTunes offers - an avenue to download your favorite songs for 99 cents each.  Instead, we had to physically bring our lazy asses to the music store  in those days!  


During my pre-teen years, we usually frequented City Mart at 47th Street (Yangon) and browsed their music selection. Our parents allowed us to buy one CD / VCD about once a month. So, I and my sister had to negotiate hard to finally decide upon that one disc that we were gonna get for that month.  Sometimes, we were granted the luxury of getting one every 2 weeks.  

Imagine the joy of finally acquiring CDs that you have been eagerly waiting for. The joy of purchasing physical CDs.  It was an experience in itself.



Both of us just could not wait to get home so that we could play our latest music. And it would be on repeat for a few days or weeks after. Thus, it was with no surprise that we still could sing along to 'N Sync when I played it in the car a couple of days ago. 

Admit it, I'm sure you can do it too.  Whenever we hear songs from the late 1990s and early 2000s, we just feel the urge to scream "OMG that song is from our era" and sing along to every word!

We grew up during the years when it was actually cool to watch MTV. Who can't remember that school girl outfit Britney wore in her "...Baby One More Time" music video?  Like duh. It was awesome to be a pre-teen & teenager during the late 1990s and early 2000s. You spent way too much time arguing with your friends about your favorite guy in Westlife, getting into rivalries between 'N Sync & Backstreet Boys and secretly doing your own performances of Britney's dance moves.

As a devoted Westlife fan, I somehow thought that I should not support  'N Sync & Backstreet Boys. But who was I kidding? Almost every song from that era is awesome! There was even a hip-hop song or two in my favorite list because nobody could resist when you hear Eminem asking about "The Real Slim Shady". 

So here we go! Just 18 choices. Who is with me?

1) Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
If I can only choose one song, this will be it. 

2) Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again
Its Britney Bitch! She deserves more than one mention definitely.

3) Aqua - Barbie Girl 
Honestly, the song is so cute - both the tunes and MV; lyrics excluded of course.

4) Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life 
It is just so fun to watch 5 confident girls who look like they were having the times of their lives!

5) Eminem - The Real Slim Shady

6) Mandy Moore - Candy

7) Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle

8) Destiny's Child - Say My Name
This was before Beyonce became a solo diva. Ohhh how time had passed!

9) Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way

10) Backstreet Boys - As Long As You Love Me

11) 'N Sync - Bye Bye Bye

12) 'N Sync - It's Gonna Be Me

13) Westlife - MUST I CHOOSE ONE SONG?
The entire Coast To Coast album was marvelous!

14) No Doubt - Hey Baby

15) Jennifer Lopez - Jenny from the Block

16) Savage Garden - Truly Madly Deeply
Do I need to say more?

17) 50 Cent - In Da Club

18) Vengaboys - Boom, Boom, Boom Boom
As far as party songs are concerned, THIS is the grandfather of Party Rock Anthem. 

Cheers to the greatest time for Pop music (and some hip hop)!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment