Travelling.

Travelling.
Travelling leaves you speechless. Then turn you into a storyteller. Hope I have been a good one ^.^

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Myanmar Day 7 - Yangon - 25 May 2012

We reached Yangon around 6am and I didn't want to trouble my mom to fetch us so early in the morning. So I arranged for the taxi pick-up service even before we left Kyaukse.  It was 6am, the car was air-conditioned, it was a pre-arranged pick-up/ on-call service. So I thought 8000 Kyats (around USD 10) for a 30-min trip to my parents' place was worth it! Besides, the taxi driver had worked in Malaysia and Singapore in the past, so he could speak English. If you are interested, I have included a picture of his name card (:


Anyway, after unpacking, we showered and had breakfast.  Then, we followed my mom as she headed to her office.  On the way, we stopped at a Methodist Church for a while since Mister wanted to see a Myanmar church.  Surprise surprise - the random church that we stopped at was actually an affiliate of his church in Singapore (Barker Road Methodist Church). The pastor in Myanmar church knew the pastor of Mister's weekly service. The world is indeed a small place!



We used the Internet at my mom's office for a while before taking a 10-min walk to Scott Market. It sold everything - souvenir items, clothes, shoes, beauty products, textiles or jewelry! It was THE shopping place before all the shopping malls began appearing in Yangon. However, be wary of the pricing. Most of the souvenir items sold here is actually imported from Bagan. So if you see something you like in Bagan, do not hesitate to buy it as these items are up to twice the cost elsewhere. We bought bamboo mugs for our friends and a rattan tissue box for Mister's mom. 

Food is also readily available here. If you are an adventurous food hunter, try the pork organs with fried vermicelli. Most food items are priced in the range of US$1-2 so you can be sure you won’t be burning a hole in any pockets.


With my mommy!

Fried Vermicelli, Steamed dumpling, Cooked pork internal organs, Fried spring roll with pork

Chowing down so many food made us (rather Mister) felt guilty so he wanted to go to a gym.  My mom and I brought him to The Grand Mee Ya Hta Hotel, located right next to the Scott Market / Bogyoke Market. Such a hardworking boy :D haha while he was busy working out in the gym, my mom and I had a little time for HTHT (:


 This old building is not a hotel haha
It was actually a former Myanmar Railways Headquarters - a heritage-listed building.
However, it will soon be restored and developed into a 5-star hotel by Yoma Strategic.

This is The Grand Mee Ya Hta Hotel. 

And guess what, despite having eaten so much food at the Scott market, I couldn't resist and asked my mom to buy Myanmar snacks sold along the streets as we walked back to her office! 
 Sweet, Crispy Crepe (around S$0.35)

Myanmar people have sweet tooth. We like to sprinkle sugar and coconut on top of our desserts which are something like Malay kueh. 

We then waited at my mom's office till closing time.  On our way back, we stopped by at Junction Square to purchase a Myanmar traditional dress for me to wear to my convocation in July 2012. Mister was surprised that it wasn't very crowded. I meant most of the malls in downtown Singapore were pretty crowded so it was surprising to him.  I guess a lot of people were still unable to afford to shop at malls like these...

I MET KIM HYUN JOONG OPPA! 
nope, not in person BUT I always feel so excited even when I see his posters! 
That's the extent that I am crazy about this particular Korean star :D


Our Yangon days were meant to be much more relaxing so we headed home for dinner afterwards and called it a day!

Adios!
xoxo
Miss N

No comments:

Post a Comment