Travelling.

Travelling.
Travelling leaves you speechless. Then turn you into a storyteller. Hope I have been a good one ^.^

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mr & Missy in Korea Day 8 (23 May 2013)

We only met at 11am at Sinchon Subway station. We had such a late start today because we would be leaving for Jeju with 7:55pm flight and I needed to pack ALL my belongings, check out of my guesthouse and leave all my luggage at the reception before starting my day. 

Thursday is Mister's fast food day.  He is pretty strict with eating junk food so he allowed himself to eat fast food just ONCE a week.  As there is no Taco Bell in Singapore and he loves Mexican food, we had our lunch there.  I love my cheese quesadilla! 




As Mister had to attend classes from 1-6pm, I walked with him to his hostel.  When he left for school around 1230pm, I took bus to Seoul Station and took train to City Hall Station to meet with my friend whom I met during my exchange days at the Korea University.



Cute benches inside the subway station

We met around 1:15pm and walked along the stone wall road / Jeondonggil 정동길 / Deoksugung Doldamgil 덕수궁 돌담길  beside the Deoksugung Palace.  This beautiful, tree-lined street provides an peaceful ambiance for a stroll BUT there is an legend that lovers who walk there together would break up in the end.  So I chose to walk along that street with my friend :D 


stone wall road / Jeondonggil 정동길 / Deoksugung Doldamgil 덕수궁 돌담길 



Afterwards, we explored the Deoksugung Palace which was the only palace with both traditional and Western style buildings. 









 At 2pm, we watched the Guard Changing Ceremony.  While watching the ceremony, we found a tent with quite a lot of Hanbok! We discovered that we could actually borrow Hanbok, wear them and take photos with the Royal Guards so we did just that!







It was around 220pm and we were quite hungry.  My friend Minji has a friend working in City Hall area so she asked her friend about the restaurants with nice food in that area. Minji's friend recommended us to try Japanese Udon Restaurant near the Jonggak Subway station.  Walk straight from exit 4 of the Jonggak Station.  The restaurant is located opposite the YMCA building.  Its on the second floor so look out for the restaurant's name - Genroku Udon / 겐로쿠우동



As we walked from the Deoksugung Palace to the Japanese restaurant, we passed by the Bosingak Belfry (보신각터). In the past, the bell would ring 33 times at 4am to signal the opening of the gates.  The bell ringing 28 times at 10pm signals the closing of the city's gates. Nowadays, a special ceremony of tolling the bell 33 times is held on New Year's Eve.


The restaurant specializes in Udon and according to my friend, they made the udon noodles themselves and you can request for free re-fill of the noodles.  As it was super hot that day, I ordered cold Udon and I was amazed!  I am not a big fan of Udon BUT those noodles changes my mind! They was so chewy and tasty! Despite the heat, Minji ordered a hot Udon with soup and I was speechless when I tried her dish.  Hot version was better than cold version because of the flavorful soup! They were pretty affordable at 6000 Won - 9000 Won per dish. So you must go there if you are in that area!

Since it was super super hot, we wanted cold dessert. Thus, we ended up in Natuur Pop for a Patbingsu / shaved ice dessert with red bean, ice cream or yogurt, rice cake, cereal, almond and even fresh cut fruits / 팥빙수.  But its just so-so.  The best Patbingsu was still the one from Jeonju.  Thinking about it makes me salivate and crave for it now! :(



After we have recharged our energies, we continued to Tapgol Park. Minji shared a brief history of Korea during the Japanese occupation and I grew even more respect for the resilience that Koreans displayed during the difficult times.  The park played an important part in the Korea history as it was the starting point of the 1 March 1919 Independence Movement.  




Around 5pm, I bid goodbye to Minji and took train back to Sinchon.  I walked back to the 24 Guesthouse to collect my bags that I needed to bring to Jeju. Then I was waiting for Mister inside the Sinchon Station around 6pm.  His professor gave them a pop quiz that day of all days and he could only leave school after 6pm. I was anxiously waiting for him as our flight would depart at 755pm and we still needed about 1hour to take train to Gimpo and check in our bags. 


Luckily, we made it! By 715pm, we were sitting inside the boarding area already! 


We reached safely to Jeju!


Our hotel room was really decent for just 60,000 Won a night! It was pretty big and clean.



Our flight landed around 9pm. After collecting our luggage, taking a cab to the December hotel, dropping of our bags and washing up, it was 10pm and we still hadn't had our dinner! So so so hungry so we left in search of food! We were lucky that our December hotel was located right in the middle of the Jeju City so there were lots of eateries.

We even stopped by at Paris Baguette to buy bread for breakfast! 




After dinner, Mister suggested to get a drink or to go to Karaoke! I said no since we would have to get up early the next day! Plus, I was quite tired and I wanted to unpack a bit too. 


Adios!
xoxo
Miss N

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Korea Trip Itinerary

Korea Day 1

Korea Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment