Travelling.

Travelling.
Travelling leaves you speechless. Then turn you into a storyteller. Hope I have been a good one ^.^

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

24 hours in Yangon

Myanmar is the last frontier for tourists and business travelers alike, at least in this part of the region. However, there is limited information available (unlike cities such as Bangkok) and so, its quite 'mysterious' to many people. I was always asked 'what is there to do in Myanmar/ Yangon?' To me, its home. Its not somewhere I go to tour. So when I had to think on my feet about places to go and food to eat, my advice wouldn't have been very coherent or helpful.  After taking my time to think of recommendations, here is the packed itinerary if you just have 24 hours in Yangon!

Given the limited time and notorious traffic jam in Yangon, I tried to reduce travelling time by focusing on attractions which are located close together.  Downtown Yangon is made up of 6 townships (Latha, Lanmadaw, Pabedan, Kyauktada, Botahtaung, Pazundaung) and the road layout follows a grid pattern. So it should be quite easy to navigate your way around.

When it comes to choosing some places and rejecting others, I had to strike a balance between history, architecture, religious places, nature, shopping and of course, food! Being the former British colonial capital, Yangon has the most number of colonial buildings in Southeast Asia.  Since time has effectively stood still for so many decades, my colleague mentioned that he felt as if he had stepped through a time machine when he visited Myanmar. It is possible to walk the entire stretch of road without finding any modern day buildings. Instead, you would be inside the larger-than-life museum with rows of colonial era buildings. Sure, they are deteriorate and worn down. However, they are exhibits which you could never find elsewhere. So such sights would be the main highlights of my itinerary.  Based on your own preference, you may choose to spend more time in some places while forgoing other places. I hope you experience something new, something different!

Bon Voyage!
xoxo
Miss N















No comments:

Post a Comment